Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Ignite.

"What moves those of genius, what inspires their work is not new ideas, but their obsession with the idea that what has already been said is still not enough."

I've read lately on the unoriginality of most competent and popular artists. Not in a negative sense, but with the concept that humanity has been at it for thousands of years, billions of people per generation; how might we expect there to be anything new under the sun? One phrase in particular had caught my eye:

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."

Part of me is relieved by this thought that those who seem so far ahead of me in art, thought, and originality are, in fact, really just presenting their own interpretation of the combination of influences in their life that had inspired them to create. Artistic thievery. Genius ;)

But on the other hand, I do not want to be a photo copy of others, while masking myself under originality. I want to offer something new. If not for others, than at least for myself so that I can lay my head on my pillow each night and know that my journey is special, different, original.

See, there is this fire in me. Silly, I know, but it's there, and I feel it right in the center of my being. It's small now, not much brighter or more heated than a candle, but it's biding it's time, just waiting to ignite. And I know that I know that I KNOW, it's going to blow even me away.

And I ache for the moment when I will step back in complete amazement and whisper, "This is what I was made for."

No comments:

Post a Comment